October Weight Loss Tips Not to Be Scared Of!
As we enter the Holiday Season, you don’t have to ruin your weight loss goals!
Here we are; it’s October already. In many parts of the country, that means leaves are changing; the air is getting a little cooler, and it’s time for all the little ghouls and goblins to get ready for the annual door-to-door grab for candy.
Halloween also is sort of the unofficial kick-off to a Holiday Season, which can mean that a lot of us who are struggling with weight will be facing the demons of parties, big dinners, and overindulgence!
But autumn is also the time of the harvest, and the fall season brings with it a literal cornucopia of superfoods that are a lot more “treat” than “trick” when it comes to watching your waistline!
Seasonal Super Foods
You know the old adage an “apple a day” – ripe delicious apples began becoming abundant and low priced on supermarket shelves in September, but they are still fresh and healthy well into October and beyond. Joining them are:
- Carrots: Orange is a fall color, and with good reason, carrots and other foods rich in beta-carotene top the list of October superfoods. Carrots are also high in vitamin A, potassium, and vitamin C, and their satisfying crunch makes carrot sticks the perfect alternative to other less wholesome holiday treats.
- Pumpkin – The Robin to carrots Batman, pumpkins, and carrots are the dynamic duo delivering fall’s powerful beta-carotene punch! A serving of pumpkin has more than 200% of your RDA of Vitamin A and pumpkin seeds, which you can buy or roast for yourself after you cut out the innards of your Jack-o-Lantern – make for a tasty and healthy treat.
- Pomegranates –This tasty fall fruit is packed with heart-healthy antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins C and K. Drinking pomegranate juice has also been linked to lowering the risks of prostate and breast cancers.
- Artichokes – They may choke “Artie,” but they won’t choke you or your diet! Artichokes are generally considered a springtime vegetable, but it does have a mini-peak season in October. Artichokes are a great source of vitamin C and fiber, and some reports say that it is richer in antioxidants than blueberries or dark chocolate.
- Beets – Another great fall color — the deep reddish-purple of beets should let you know they can’t be “beat” for antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals. Beets are also sometimes called “beetroot” – it is the same veggie, with the same fall super-goodness.
- Cabbage – If it’s not swimming in mayo in coleslaw or super-high in salt when pickled as sauerkraut adorning a less than healthy hot dog – cabbage is actually quite good for you. Cabbage is a good source of vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. And like other cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, it has shown some cancer-fighting properties.
- Onions – While basically available all year round, certain kinds of onions enjoy a peak in popularity in the fall. Onions have been linked to lowering high blood pressure, reducing cholesterol, fighting certain types of cancer, and contain quercetin, which has anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine properties.
While quick and easy, these foods often contain excess sugar and unhealthy fats that take a toll on your weight. To prevent weight gain, opt for whole foods and cook your meals from scratch.
That way, you can monitor your diet and stay on top of your weight.
The Skinny on Medical Weight Loss
Besides trying to eat right by enjoying the fall superfoods above, if you really want a treat that can keep your weight loss goals on track this Holiday Season, you may want to consider a medical weight loss program.
Medical weight loss can literally be just what the doctor ordered to help you to achieve your long-term weight loss goals. Medical weight loss is an approach to managing your weight that focuses on doctor-supervised plans that could involve FDA-approved medications, diet, exercise, supplementation, behavior modification, and often hormone optimization.
At NuLife Institute, we realize that not all patients struggling with weight are the same. Unlike some other facilities, we never take a cookie-cutter approach to physician-guided weight loss, but instead, we tailor your program to your unique needs, goals, and lifestyle.
Our medical director, Dr. Luis Dominguez, ensures that at NuLife, we take your health and our name seriously, and we offer overweight patients a “new life” that they never dreamed possible with our medical weight loss plans.
“I am just a little over three weeks into a medical weight loss program with NuLife and i am already down over 15lbs! Beyond the treatments, what they do is they really train you how to eat the right amount of the right foods, and your body reacts very well to the nutrition and volume you are feeding it. Here’s the thing, there is no starvation here. You are retraining your body to enjoy healthy foods! With the plan I am on, I get to have fruit, veggies, starches, and of course, protein! I’ve tried a lot of diets, workouts, etc., over the years, and I have never seen results like this. Their name says it all. I really feel like I have a ‘new life’ thanks to Dr. Dominguez and his staff!” Phil B., Miami, FL
If you are a man or a woman who is tired of being overweight and of yo-yo diet programs that never work, why not contact us today at (305) 400-0005, and let us design a medical weight loss plan that is right for you!